Financing Graduate Education

The financial aid program of the Graduate School of Arts and Science seeks to ensure that all academically qualified students have enough financial support to enable them to work toward their degree. Awards include support for tuition and modest living expenses in the form of fellowships, research assistantships, and loans. Doctoral students also have teaching opportunities that provide separate compensation. Graduate Enrollment Services at the Graduate School and the NYU Office of Financial Aid offer additional financial options. The staff in each of these offices work closely with students to develop reasonable financial plans for completing a degree.

Instructions for Financial Aid Applicants

The application for admission is also the application for all Graduate School fellowships and research assistantships for new students. No additional forms are required.

The application for admission must be received by the specified deadline date to be eligible for Graduate School and departmental fellowships and research assistantships. Refer to the departmental deadline dates in Application Requirements and Deadlines section of the GSAS Application Resource Center at

Guidelines for continuing students are available from departmental advisers in advance of the established deadline.

The Graduate School encourages all U.S. citizens and permanent residents to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be considered for all forms of federal and state aid, including the Federal Work-Study Program and the various federal and private loan programs. NYU requires that the FAFSA be submitted online by linking to The FAFSA should be filed by March 1, for fall enrollment. Students should give permission for application data to be sent to New York University (enter institution code 002785 in the “Title IV Code” space).

Graduate School Fellowships, Research Assistantships, Prizes, and Research Awards

The Graduate School of Arts and Science offers an extensive program of support. Funding decisions, based solely on merit, are made by the departments with review by the dean. In addition, the school encourages students to apply for assistance through the many external organizations that provide funding for graduate study.

Some of the sources of funding through the University and the Graduate School are listed below. Further information is available online at

  • Henry M. MacCracken Program
  • Research Assistantships
  • GSAS Tuition Incentive Program (TIP)
  • GSAS/CAS Tuition Program
  • Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowships
  • Penfield Fellowships for Studies in Diplomacy, International Affairs, and Belles Lettres
  • Dean’s Dissertation Fellowships
  • GSAS Global Dissertation Fellowships
  • Horizon Fellowship
  • Louis Lerner Memorial Scholarship
  • A. Ogden Butler Fellowship
  • Douglas and Katharine Fryer Thesis Fellowship Awards
  • Lane Cooper Fellowship
  • Patricia Dunn Lehrman Fellowship
  • James Arthur Dissertation Fellowship
  • Robert Holmes Travel/Research Awards for African Scholarship
  • Mainzer Summer Fellowship
  • Dolores Zohrab Liebmann Fellowship
  • New York University German Academic Exchange Scholarship (DAAD)
  • New York University-Freie Universität Berlin Grant
  • Howard Hughes Medical Institute International Student Research Fellowship
  • Fulbright-Hays Doctoral Dissertation Research Abroad
  • Fulbright U.S. Student Program
  • William and Pearl C. Helbein Scholarship
  • Engberg Fellowships
  • President’s Service Awards
  • New York University/GSAS Opportunity Fellowship Program
  • Sauter and Dean’s Predoctoral Summer Fellowships
  • Dean’s Student Travel Awards
  • Dean’s Outstanding Dissertation Awards
  • Dean’s Outstanding Student Teaching Awards

In addition to the substantial fellowship support available through the University, the Graduate School of Arts and Science, and the range of external organizations committed to academic teaching and research, many departments offer assistance to their students from departmental funds.

Alternative Funding Sources

Funding for Master’s Programs

Financial aid is available in certain departments and programs. Interested applicants should submit the application form by the department’s application or financial aid deadline date. In addition, master’s students are eligible for awards through the Graduate School’s Tuition Incentive Program (TIP). Recent graduates of the College of Arts and Science at NYU may be eligible for a tuition award through the GSAS/CAS Tuition Program. For more specific information regarding eligibility and the availability of fellowships, applicants should call the director of graduate studies in the department or program, or contact Graduate Enrollment Services.

Funding for International Students

To secure a visa, international students must demonstrate that they have sufficient funding to complete the degree. International students who apply by the specified deadline date and are admitted to the Graduate School are automatically considered for Graduate School fellowships and scholarships as well as for research assistantships. Most loan programs are restricted to U.S. citizens and permanent residents. Many international students obtain support for their educational expenses from their government, a foundation, or a private agency. In many cases, these students are eligible to receive matching tuition funds through the Graduate School’s Tuition Incentive Program. Applicants should contact Graduate Enrollment Services for specific details.

Residential Life Staff Positions

The Office of Residential Life and Housing Services annually offers a limited number of professional staff  positions to students who wish to work with residential undergraduate and graduate students to promote interpersonal connections, community, and academic enhancements within our residence halls. Students in these positions serve as peers who assess, organize, and implement social and educational activities within and around the residence halls. In addition, as representatives of the Department of Residential Education, RAs and CEAs are sources of information, support, and referral and enforce housing and residential educational policy. You may find detailed information at

Other Financial Aid—Federal, State, and Private Programs


To be considered for financial aid, students must be officially admitted to NYU or matriculated in a degree program and making satisfactory academic progress toward degree requirements. University-administered federal and state awards are not automatically renewed each year. Continuing students must submit the FAFSA each year by the NYU deadline, continue to demonstrate financial need, make satisfactory progress toward degree requirements, and be in good academic standing. Please consult for current information about satisfactory academic progress evaluations and policies.

It is the student’s responsibility to supply true, accurate, and complete information on the FAFSA and to notify the Office of Financial Aid immediately of any changes or corrections in his or her housing status or financial situation, including tuition remission benefits or outside grants, once the application has been made. Determination of financial need is also based on the number of courses for which the student registers. A change in registration therefore may necessitate an adjustment in financial aid.


Students receiving federal student aid who withdraw completely may be billed for remaining balances resulting from the mandatory return of funds to the U.S. government. The amount of federal aid “earned” up to that point is determined by the withdrawal date and a calculation based upon the federally prescribed formula. Generally, federal assistance is earned on a pro-rata basis.

Veterans Benefits

Various Department of Veterans Affairs programs provide educational benefits for sons, daughters, and spouses of deceased or permanently disabled veterans as well as for veterans and in-service personnel who served on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces after January 1, 1955. In these programs, the amount of benefits varies.

Since interpretation of regulations governing veterans benefits is subject to change, veterans and their dependents should keep in touch with the Department of Veterans Affairs. For additional information and assistance in completing the necessary forms, contact the Office of the University Registrar, 25 West Fourth Street, 1st Floor; 212-998-4800.

Loan Programs

For information about Federal Loans and Private (Non-Federal) Alternative Loans please see Types of Financial Aid at

Tuition Remission

Members of the NYU staff, teaching staff, and officers or administrators and their dependents who are eligible for NYU tuition remission are not eligible for other forms of financial aid administered by the University (including merit awards). Eligibility can be reviewed for other types of aid including: Federal Stafford Loans, Federal Unsubsidized Stafford Loans, Federal Parent Loans for Undergraduate Students (PLUS), TAP Grants, Federal Pell Grants, and some private (non-federal) alternative loan programs if the appropriate Free Application for Federal Student Aid is completed. Details about tuition remission eligibility information can be obtained at

Employee Education Plans

Many companies pay all or part of the tuition of their employees under tuition refund plans. Employed students attending the University should ask their personnel officers or training directors about the existence of a company tuition plan. Students who receive tuition reimbursement and NYU employees who receive tuition remission from NYU must notify the Office of Financial Aid if they receive this benefit.


Students considering employment that would require a significant portion of their time should discuss their plans with a Graduate Enrollment Services counselor. Students on full-funding support must obtain the permission of a departmental representative and the dean of the Graduate School if they wish to secure employment.

Students who study at the Graduate School on temporary visas should fully understand the regulations concerning permissible employment under those visas. Before making plans for employment in the United States, international students should consult with the Office of Global Services, New York University, 561 La Guardia Place, New York, NY 10012-1402; 212-998-4720; e-mail:

Federal Work-Study Program

The Federal Work-Study Program supports a range of research and administrative employment opportunities within the University. Eligible students are U.S. citizens or permanent residents who show need for funding. To be eligible, a student must complete a FAFSA and must demonstrate financial need.

Federal Work-Study jobs are secured through the University’s Wasserman Center for Career Development, 133 East 13th Street, 2nd Floor; 212-998-4730.

Tuition and Fees

The Graduate School of Arts and Science charges tuition on a per-point basis. A student must complete 72 points for the Ph.D. degree and 32-40 points for the master’s degree, depending on the program. A full-time course load is 12 points per semester, 24 points per year.

The Board of Trustees of New York University reserves the right to alter this schedule of fees without notice. All fees must be paid per term at the time of registration in the Office of the Bursar, located at 25 West Fourth Street. Checks and drafts should be drawn to the order of New York University in the exact amount of tuition and fees required. In the case of overpayment, the balance is refunded upon request by filing a refund application in the Office of the Bursar.

A fee will be charged if payment is not made by the due date indicated on the student’s statement.

The unpaid balance of a student’s account is also subject to an interest charge of 12 percent per annum from the first day of class until payment is received.

Students who receive awards after registration will receive a check from the University after the New York State payment has been received by the Office of the Bursar, and the Office of the University Registrar has confirmed eligibility.

Charges for tuition and fees are announced on the Bursar’s webpage at

For information about the Mandatory Student Health Insurance Plan and the online enrollment/waiver process please visit the Student Health Insurance web page at

For information about the Stu-Dent Plan (dental service through NYU’s College of Dentistry) please visit

Dissertation publishing is free for traditional publishing filed electronically (However, costs can increase depending upon publishing option(s) selected via ProQuest)

Copyright of dissertation (optional): 55.00

Optional Payment Plans

Payment plans can help manage your educational expenses. Options are described at

Arrears Policy

The University reserves the right to deny registration and withhold all information regarding the record of any student who is in arrears in the payment of tuition, fees, loans, or other charges (including charges for housing, dining, or other activities or services) for as long as any arrears remain.

Diploma Arrears Policy

Diplomas of students in arrears will be held until their financial obligations to the University are fulfilled and they have been cleared by the Bursar. Graduates with a diploma hold may contact the Office of the Bursar at 212-998-2806 to clear arrears or to discuss their financial status at the University.

Withdrawal and Refund of Tuition

Students receiving federal student aid who withdraw completely may be billed for remaining balances resulting from the mandatory return of funds to the U.S. government. The amount of federal aid “earned” up to that point is determined by the withdrawal date and a calculation based upon the federally prescribed formula.  Generally, federal assistance is earned on a pro-rata basis.

For full details, refer to the Office of the Bursar,